In the UK all wild birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law. Some species are given additional protection under European and national legislation.
In order to avoid committing an offence during a development project it is important that works are carried out an appropriate time of year and that the potential presence of any specially protected species is investigated. Mark Tunmore has extensive ornithological experience spanning a 30-year period, including the following skill set:
- Able to identify species easily from their songs and calls. Just like a foreign language, bird songs are best learnt at a young age and over a long period of time. Mark has maintained an active interest in ornithology since his teens.
- Proficient in Common Bird Census (CBC), Breeding Bird Survey (BBS), Wintering Bird Surveys and Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) techniques and trained to British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) standards in territory mapping.
- Able to offer more specialised surveys such as breeding Nightjar, Cirl Bunting, Brown and Shepherd method of censusing upland breeding waders, and vantage point watches/collision risk monitoring for wind turbine projects.
- Holder of a Natural England licence to disturb Barn Owl and trained by the Barn Owl Trust in Barn Owl Ecology, Surveys and Signs.
- JNCC accredited European Seabirds at Sea (ESAS) surveyor.
- Worked with many of Britain’s protected species, including Peregrine, Merlin, Red Kite, Dotterel, Kingfisher and Honey Buzzard.
Are you looking for a Bird survey?
Please get in touch by email or call 07979 013257